Historic U.S. 61: South Service Drive at Rush City
South Service Drive at Rush City
Located In: Rush City, Chisago County.
Length: 0.10 miles
Also Marked As:
A short service drive on the south side of Rush City was once part of the original paved highway between the Twin Cities and Duluth.
The surviving section was originally completed in 1927 as part of a paving project that stretched all the way from Wyoming to Rock Creek. The road was paved with 18 feet of concrete.
U.S. 61 was rebuilt and modernized between North Branch and Rush City in 1951. The new road was designed with a less severe curve on the south side of town, allowing part of the original highway to be reused as a service drive. Instead of being left as-is, the old road was rebuilt and widened over the original pavement.
The service drive appears to still be intact in its 1951 configuration.
Photos - taken in October, 2009.
Looking north at the south end of the service drive.