Historic U.S. 61: Moose Lake Service Drive
Moose Lake Service Drive
Located In: City of Moose Lake, Moose Lake Township, Carlton County.
Length: 0.35 miles
Also Marked As:
A service drive along the west side of County Road 61 on the south side of Moose Lake was once part of the original paved highway between the Twin Cities and Duluth.
This section was completed in 1926 as part of the paving of U.S. 61 between Friesland and Carlton, the longest continuous paving project during the initial Babcock-era construction projects, (over 47 miles long!). The pavement was concrete, 18 feet wide.
This section was bypassed in the 1953 modernization of U.S. 61 between Rutledge and Barnum. It was left behind as part of a service drive, which was extended as a new roadway a bit further to the north. The construction plans show that the original concrete pavement was paved over with an asphalt seal coat.
The service drive is still fully intact in its 1953 configuration. It now provides access to a parking lot for the Willard Munger state trail and a public access point on the Moose Horn River.
Photos - taken in November, 2009
Looking north down the service drive, with County Road 61 on the right.