Marked As: 1927-1934 1927-1934 1934-1963
A short stretch of the concrete highway completed in 1928 (graded in 1927) for what was originally State Highway 50 and US 55 survives as a service drive at Fischer Avenue in Hampton Township. It was used by US 52 until the modern four lane highway was constructed in 1963.
The service drive is actually the only fully intact and exposed piece of 1920's era concrete highway left in Dakota County. All of the other original paved highways constructed as part of Minnesota's original constitutional route system have either been paved over or destroyed.
Data available from U.S. Geological Survey, EROS Data Center, Sioux Falls, SD
Looking north down the service drive from Fischer Avenue. Modern US 52 is visible on the right. The old concrete pavement is typical of the roads constructed by the Department of Highway in the 1920's and early 1930's. The pavement is 20 feet wide, with separate slabs used for the two lanes. Also note the angled curb on the right side of the road. The upturned curbs common on the old highways are generally removed if they are to be used as the base for new asphalt pavement. (Photo from November, 2005)